The House of Leaves was a maternity hospital at the beginning. It was built in 1931 as an obstetric clinic at the initiative of the distinguished physician Dr. Jani Basho and it was run by him. It is the first of this kind in Albania and this has been its function during the thirties.
During the early postwar years, the House of Leaves was used as an investigation center, thus also as a place where tortures were made. The practice of tortures and other terror forms was accepted also by the official communist propaganda but as if they occurred until the time of breaking up with Yugoslavia (1948): they were attributed to the Yugoslavia influences and the so-called Titoist agents in the political police. As it is shown in this museum, torture was practiced throughout the communist regime.
Starting from the fifties, the functions of this building were changed. Yet, for decades legends have circulated about it, the fruit of secrecy and mystery that wrapped this house. The seat of Security technical-scientific branch was here, which dealt mainly with the electronic interception, control of telephones and postal control, in addition to being also the headquarters of a branch that was concerned with the pursuit of foreigners. They continued until the Security dissolution in 1991. The technical-scientific branch had an assisting and leading role for other Security sectors in these activities.